About 4.5 miles north of Huntly, on minor roads south of B9118 at Milltown of Rothiemay, east of River Deveron, just east of Avochie House.
Avochie Castle is a very ruined 16th Century Tower House. Only the gable ends, with a corbelled-out bartizan at one corner, survive. It was a property of the Gordons of Avochie, who took an active part in the fighting of the reigns of Mary, queen of Scots,
and James VI. The modern Avochie House is nearby.
Wording taken from The Castles of Scotland Third Edition by Martin Coventry
Date posted: 14 Apr 2010Last updated: 19 Nov 2014
? You are not currently logged in. Log in using the form below.Comment rules
Would you like to add comments to this site?
You must be registered and logged in to post a comment. If you are registered please login below and you, when logged in, will be able to post comments.
Links: [ Register here
] - [ Lost password?
] - [ Lost username?
Comments found: (0)
Presently, there are no comments posted for this record!
Back to top
- Please be considerate in language. Do not use swear words.
- Treat other posters with the respect they deserve. This should go without saying, but treat others like you would like to be treated.
- Please do not spam. The definition of spam is an irrelevant or advertising post. Any post considered spam will be removed.
- Please do not post threads text in all CAPITALS since this is considered to be shouting and is not necessary.
- Insulting personal attacks will be not tolerated.