Castle Newe as it was before demolition
Not much remains of Castle Newe (pronounced "Neyouw") an altered Z plan tower house of 1604 and mansion from 1831, which had a tall central tower and was designed by Archibald Simpson. The original castle consisted of a man block with
rectangular towers at opposite corners. The building was demolished around 1827, and materials used to build an extension of the University of Aberdeen. It was a property of the Forbes family, who made their fortune in India.
Wording taken from The Castles of Scotland Third Edition by Martin Coventry
Date posted: 18 Apr 2010Last updated: 20 Nov 2014
? You are not currently logged in. Log in using the form below.Comment rules
Would you like to add comments to this site?
You must be registered and logged in to post a comment. If you are registered please login below and you, when logged in, will be able to post comments.
Links: [ Register here
] - [ Lost password?
] - [ Lost username?
Comments found: (0)
Presently, there are no comments posted for this record!
Back to top
- Please be considerate in language. Do not use swear words.
- Treat other posters with the respect they deserve. This should go without saying, but treat others like you would like to be treated.
- Please do not spam. The definition of spam is an irrelevant or advertising post. Any post considered spam will be removed.
- Please do not post threads text in all CAPITALS since this is considered to be shouting and is not necessary.
- Insulting personal attacks will be not tolerated.