Wormiston House is a 17th century tower house, which has been greatly extended, although these extensions were demolished in 1988 during re-building.
It was a property of the Spence family of Wormiston, Constables of Crail. They supported Mary, Queen of Scots, during the 1570s. In 1612 Wormiston passed to the Balfours, who probably built most of the existing castle, but in 1621 it was acquired by the Lindsays. The house was rebuilt in the 1980's, and is occupied.
Source: The Castles of Scotland Third Edition by Martin Coventry
Date posted: 18 Apr 2010Last updated: 08 Dec 2014
? You are not currently logged in. Log in using the form below.Comment rules
Would you like to add comments to this site?
You must be registered and logged in to post a comment. If you are registered please login below and you, when logged in, will be able to post comments.
Links: [ Register here
] - [ Lost password?
] - [ Lost username?
Comments found: (0)
Presently, there are no comments posted for this record!
Back to top
- Please be considerate in language. Do not use swear words.
- Treat other posters with the respect they deserve. This should go without saying, but treat others like you would like to be treated.
- Please do not spam. The definition of spam is an irrelevant or advertising post. Any post considered spam will be removed.
- Please do not post threads text in all CAPITALS since this is considered to be shouting and is not necessary.
- Insulting personal attacks will be not tolerated.