Ever since its destruction in the aftermath of the 1745 Jacobite rising, Castle Lachlan has lain in ruin but steps are now under way to preserve and consolidate what is left.
Castle Lachlan circa 1900
This attractive 15th-century castle stands on the banks of Loch Fyne and is of peculiar form. From the outside it appears as a massive, if squat, tower house, but upon entering it can be seen that it consists of two tenement blocks linked by an open court.
Clan Lachlan were loyal supporters of the Stuarts and fought at Culloden where their chief fell. Retribution was swift – a government warship was sent to Loch Fyne to bombard the castle which, from then on, ceased to be the clan’s home.
The same view of Castle Lachlan today showing the consolidation work in progress
Castle Lachlan is a Grade A-listed building which marks it of national importance. Clan Lachlan have formed a trust to stabilise the castle with the intention of making it accessible to as many as possible in order to understand the heritage and importance of the site. You can visit their website to learn more about the castle and the Clan’s work by
Castle Lachlan from the landward side with indefatigable SCA member Annick McGarrigle exploring its boundaries
Article by SCA member Brian McGarrigle.
Date posted: 25 May 2016Last updated: 25 May 2016
? You are not currently logged in. Log in using the form below.Comment rules
Would you like to add comments to this site?
You must be registered and logged in to post a comment. If you are registered please login below and you, when logged in, will be able to post comments.
Links: [ Register here
] - [ Lost password?
] - [ Lost username?
Comments found: (0)
Presently, there are no comments posted for this record!
Back to top
- Please be considerate in language. Do not use swear words.
- Treat other posters with the respect they deserve. This should go without saying, but treat others like you would like to be treated.
- Please do not spam. The definition of spam is an irrelevant or advertising post. Any post considered spam will be removed.
- Please do not post threads text in all CAPITALS since this is considered to be shouting and is not necessary.
- Insulting personal attacks will be not tolerated.