On 3 May 1660 General Morgan drew forth his Regiment from the Citadel of Leith and asked if they would serve His Majesty, King Charles. The response was loud and clear: ‘All, All, All’ and they marched back where they were given money to drink to the King’s health.
The 8 years of military rule under the Cromwellian Protectorate was over There was, however, the small matter of £30,000 due for back pay but by 1662 the soldiers were satisfied and the garrison departed. Leith Citadel (the core fortified area of the town) was dismantled as were those at Ayr, Perth, Inverlochy and Inverness.
Above the gates of each of the citadels had been placed the Arms of the Commonwealth and one may assume that these were the first to go. At Inverness the local minister, gazing at this intrusion, had noted with obvious satisfaction that:
'The Commonwealth’s Arms were set about the most conspicuous gate of the Citadel, but a great thistle growing out above it covered the whole carved work and arms so as not a bit of it could be seen, to the admiration of all beholders'
Inverness citadel - Commonwealth Arms above main gate
Ayr Citadel 1790: empty panel once contained the Commonwealth Arms
Ayr Citadel today: The panel is now lost. Note marks of musket balls
Leith citadel - fragment of gate
Article by SCA member Brian McGarrigle.
Date posted: 17 Sep 2015Last updated: 17 Sep 2015
? You are not currently logged in. Log in using the form below.Comment rules
Would you like to add comments to this site?
You must be registered and logged in to post a comment. If you are registered please login below and you, when logged in, will be able to post comments.
Links: [ Register here
] - [ Lost password?
] - [ Lost username?
Comments found: (0)
Presently, there are no comments posted for this record!
Back to top
- Please be considerate in language. Do not use swear words.
- Treat other posters with the respect they deserve. This should go without saying, but treat others like you would like to be treated.
- Please do not spam. The definition of spam is an irrelevant or advertising post. Any post considered spam will be removed.
- Please do not post threads text in all CAPITALS since this is considered to be shouting and is not necessary.
- Insulting personal attacks will be not tolerated.