Eilean Donan Castle as it appears today
Stonemasons working to weatherproof the walls of Eilean Donan castle, reduced to ruins during a Jacobite rebellion in 1719, have uncovered a vivid reminder of the building’s demise: 2 iron cannonballs embedded in the masonry, some 30 feet above the ground.
Measuring 7” in diameter, the cannonballs were revealed during a project to replace the protective lime and concrete coating applied to the castle in the 1950s. While similar objects have been recovered from the sea and shore surrounding Eilean Donan, these are the first to be found still stuck in their target.
When the commanding officer realised cannon fire would be ineffective, he ordered the castle to be taken by a landing party
"Three warships were dispatched to deal with the uprising, bombarding the castle with cannon fire", said castle keeper David Win. "Eilean Donan's walls were 14 feet thick in places. When the commanding officer realised cannon fire would be ineffective he ordered the castle to be taken by a landing party. After capturing the castle they fired the gunpowder store to destroy Eilean Donan."
When reconstruction began in 1912, the upstanding remains were incorporated - hence the reason we are still able to discover artifacts like the cannonballs.
Credit: current archaeology issue 280
Date posted: 26 Jul 2013Last updated: 04 Dec 2014
? You are not currently logged in. Log in using the form below.Comment rules
Would you like to add comments to this site?
You must be registered and logged in to post a comment. If you are registered please login below and you, when logged in, will be able to post comments.
Links: [ Register here
] - [ Lost password?
] - [ Lost username?
Comments found: (1)
Back to top
- Please be considerate in language. Do not use swear words.
- Treat other posters with the respect they deserve. This should go without saying, but treat others like you would like to be treated.
- Please do not spam. The definition of spam is an irrelevant or advertising post. Any post considered spam will be removed.
- Please do not post threads text in all CAPITALS since this is considered to be shouting and is not necessary.
- Insulting personal attacks will be not tolerated.