Knock Castle is situated on the edge of a ravine on the Ayrshire coast near Largs.
The original castle was a 17th-century Z-plan tower house with an oblong main block of four storeys and distinctive circular towers at either end.
One part is in ruins and the other part is roofed having been transformed into a garden folly in the 1850s. The red rubble walls are peppered with shot holes and there is a gun loop above the door to the stair tower. The basement is vaulted but the upper floors have been modernised.
Knock Castle LEFT: Windows in tower provide superb views over the Clyde Estuary
RIGHT: Work in progress to convert Knock into a holiday let
Stones built into the walls provide some key dates in the building’s history: ‘1603’, ’1604’, ‘Repaired in 1853’ and ‘2013’.
At present Knock Castle is undergoing work which will convert it into a property suitable for let and provide for its long-term future.
The old castle stands in the grounds of its successor finished in 1852. This is a Tudor-castellated pile which, according to the RIAS, is 'undoubtedly among the most successful 19th century mansions in Scotland’.
The superb Knock Castle of 1852
Article by SCA member Brian McGarrigle.
Date posted: 03 Feb 2016Last updated: 03 Feb 2016
? You are not currently logged in. Log in using the form below.Comment rules
Would you like to add comments to this site?
You must be registered and logged in to post a comment. If you are registered please login below and you, when logged in, will be able to post comments.
Links: [ Register here
] - [ Lost password?
] - [ Lost username?
Comments found: (0)
Presently, there are no comments posted for this record!
Back to top
- Please be considerate in language. Do not use swear words.
- Treat other posters with the respect they deserve. This should go without saying, but treat others like you would like to be treated.
- Please do not spam. The definition of spam is an irrelevant or advertising post. Any post considered spam will be removed.
- Please do not post threads text in all CAPITALS since this is considered to be shouting and is not necessary.
- Insulting personal attacks will be not tolerated.