It is gratifying for the Scottish Castles Association to report a success – in this case Lochore Castle in Fife which has been saved from ruin as part of a community project.
Lochore Castle in ruin
Consolidation work on Lochore Castle begins
Lochore is a 14th century tower built on what was a crannog (an artificial island) reached by a causeway in Loch Inchgal (Island of the Strangers). The loch was drained in the 18th century leaving the castle literally ‘high and dry’. Ruin and vegetation had obscured the site until the
Living Lomonds Heritage Group
volunteers cleared it for the Castle Studies Trust to employ ground penetration radar which revealed its secrets.
Scottish Castles Association member Bob Marshall's reconstruction drawings of Lochore Castle
The Scottish Castles Association’s own Bob Marshall was commissioned to provide reconstruction drawings for information boards at Lochore Castle and these can be viewed on his site by
and on his
Eyemouth Fort: Coastal defence cannon of 1860s used against the French
BOTTOM: French works of 1550 at Eyemouth Fort used against the English. French SCA member Annick McGarrigle seen in the picture
Bob has been hard at work lately at Eyemouth Fort where there is a similar community involvement. Further reconstruction drawings of Eyemouth Fort can also be viewed on his site
Bob Marshall's reconstruction of Eyemouth Fort
Article by SCA member Brian McGarrigle.
Date posted: 17 Aug 2016Last updated: 17 Aug 2016
? You are not currently logged in. Log in using the form below.Comment rules
Would you like to add comments to this site?
You must be registered and logged in to post a comment. If you are registered please login below and you, when logged in, will be able to post comments.
Links: [ Register here
] - [ Lost password?
] - [ Lost username?
Comments found: (0)
Presently, there are no comments posted for this record!
Back to top
- Please be considerate in language. Do not use swear words.
- Treat other posters with the respect they deserve. This should go without saying, but treat others like you would like to be treated.
- Please do not spam. The definition of spam is an irrelevant or advertising post. Any post considered spam will be removed.
- Please do not post threads text in all CAPITALS since this is considered to be shouting and is not necessary.
- Insulting personal attacks will be not tolerated.