Craigcrook Castle, Edinburgh
Craigcrook Castle, Edinburgh, is on the market for the first time in 300 years and, if it achieves its guide price of £6m, is set to become the most expensive castle ever sold in Scotland. The record is held by Seton Castle, also near Edinburgh, which went for £5m in 2007. Craigcrook, at 3 miles from the city centre, comes with a walled garden and 4.5 acres of landscaped grounds. For the past few years this Grade B castle has been leased out for commercial purposes.
Craigcrook is a ‘romantic’ castle and much altered. The main part of the castle with its vaulted rooms would appear to date from the early 17th century but the amount of vaulting, together with the wall thickness would suggest that there is, in fact, is a much earlier building incorporated. Over the centuries it was improved with stunning interiors and enlarged fenestration. It was greatly extended by W H Playfair and restored in 1989. A 17th century garden with an arched pediment dated 1626 completes the picture.
Seton Castle pictured during a SCA visit. It sold for £5m in 2007
Date posted: 19 May 2014Last updated: 07 Jan 2015
See also: Estate Agent Website
? You are not currently logged in. Log in using the form below.Comment rules
Would you like to add comments to this site?
You must be registered and logged in to post a comment. If you are registered please login below and you, when logged in, will be able to post comments.
Links: [ Register here
] - [ Lost password?
] - [ Lost username?
Comments found: (0)
Presently, there are no comments posted for this record!
Back to top
- Please be considerate in language. Do not use swear words.
- Treat other posters with the respect they deserve. This should go without saying, but treat others like you would like to be treated.
- Please do not spam. The definition of spam is an irrelevant or advertising post. Any post considered spam will be removed.
- Please do not post threads text in all CAPITALS since this is considered to be shouting and is not necessary.
- Insulting personal attacks will be not tolerated.