Dunollie Castle - Oban
Dunollie Castle, Oban, is to be locked up at night to prevent harm to visitors and building alike.
Centuries of neglect and the invasion of ivy have brought the castle into a state of progressive collapse. A more recent threat has been the attention of vandals who have smashed the flood lights, lit fires and used it as a toilet as well as holding 'parties' in the ruin.
As a result the Clan MacDougall Preservation Trust have closed the castle for the first time in 50 years.
However,there is hope as plans are being drawn up to give Dunollie a £1.5 m facelift. Proposals (provisionally agreed with Historic Scotland) include removing the ivy and invasive trees.
Date posted: 13 Feb 2012Last updated: 05 Dec 2014
? You are not currently logged in. Log in using the form below.Comment rules
Would you like to add comments to this site?
You must be registered and logged in to post a comment. If you are registered please login below and you, when logged in, will be able to post comments.
Links: [ Register here
] - [ Lost password?
] - [ Lost username?
Comments found: (0)
Presently, there are no comments posted for this record!
Back to top
- Please be considerate in language. Do not use swear words.
- Treat other posters with the respect they deserve. This should go without saying, but treat others like you would like to be treated.
- Please do not spam. The definition of spam is an irrelevant or advertising post. Any post considered spam will be removed.
- Please do not post threads text in all CAPITALS since this is considered to be shouting and is not necessary.
- Insulting personal attacks will be not tolerated.