Maybole Castle - Ayrshire
Maybole Castle, Ayrshire has received a grant of £110,000 to help develop its tourist potential.
It dates from 1560 and was a town house of the Kennedy family. In the 19th C it was converted for use by the Cassillis Estates. This was not to its advantage as the interior was 'modernised' and adapted for the use use of the factors.
It was offered to the local community by the trustees of the Estates and the local Historical Society has been active in promoting the castle and opening it to the public.
An 'end use' has not yet been found for the castle and it has been on the Buildings at Risk Register since 2009.
The castle requires repair and 'exciting' plans even include an external lift!
Date posted: 09 Feb 2012Last updated: 05 Dec 2014
? You are not currently logged in. Log in using the form below.Comment rules
Would you like to add comments to this site?
You must be registered and logged in to post a comment. If you are registered please login below and you, when logged in, will be able to post comments.
Links: [ Register here
] - [ Lost password?
] - [ Lost username?
Comments found: (0)
Presently, there are no comments posted for this record!
Back to top
- Please be considerate in language. Do not use swear words.
- Treat other posters with the respect they deserve. This should go without saying, but treat others like you would like to be treated.
- Please do not spam. The definition of spam is an irrelevant or advertising post. Any post considered spam will be removed.
- Please do not post threads text in all CAPITALS since this is considered to be shouting and is not necessary.
- Insulting personal attacks will be not tolerated.