View taken from the site of the old castle at Haddo House
Excavations have exposed the Place of Kelly. Its location has remained a mystery since it was demolished prior to the construction of Haddo House in the 1730s. Kelly is first mentioned in 1261 as the dwelling place of the Comyns, Earls of Buchan and was much added to in the 15th century to reflect their lofty status.
During the Civil Wars Kelly was sacked but remained in occupation until the Gordons of Haddo decided that they needed a dwelling more in line with their status and the old castle blocked their view so it was levelled! Ground penetrating radar suggests a range of buildings surrounding a courtyard with walls standing to almost 2m.
Date posted: 09 Jan 2012Last updated: 05 Dec 2014
See also: more info on Haddo House
? You are not currently logged in. Log in using the form below.Comment rules
Would you like to add comments to this site?
You must be registered and logged in to post a comment. If you are registered please login below and you, when logged in, will be able to post comments.
Links: [ Register here
] - [ Lost password?
] - [ Lost username?
Comments found: (0)
Presently, there are no comments posted for this record!
Back to top
- Please be considerate in language. Do not use swear words.
- Treat other posters with the respect they deserve. This should go without saying, but treat others like you would like to be treated.
- Please do not spam. The definition of spam is an irrelevant or advertising post. Any post considered spam will be removed.
- Please do not post threads text in all CAPITALS since this is considered to be shouting and is not necessary.
- Insulting personal attacks will be not tolerated.