Great Polish Map of Scotland
A campaign has been launched to save the world's largest 'map' of Scotland situated in the grounds of Black Barony Castle.
The castle is situated in the Scottish Borders near the town of Peebles. The map was donated by a Polish general as a tribute to Scotland having been based there during the last war. Polish students created the contoured depiction of Scotland, measuring approximately 50 by 40 metres (160 x 130 ft), with stone and concrete. The estate is up for sale. The garden (with its map) has long been neglected but now the race is on to preserve it. The Heritage Lottery Fund has donated £20,000 but more is required. Help is being sought from Historic Scotland.
Black Barony Castle (Peebles)
The mansion of Black Barony began life as a 16th century tower house but this has been completely masked by later additions, themselves of considerable merit. Latterly in use as an hotel, Barony is now up for grabs.
Source: The Herald, 7 May 2012
Date posted: 08 May 2012Last updated: 08 Dec 2014
See also: more info
? You are not currently logged in. Log in using the form below.Comment rules
Would you like to add comments to this site?
You must be registered and logged in to post a comment. If you are registered please login below and you, when logged in, will be able to post comments.
Links: [ Register here
] - [ Lost password?
] - [ Lost username?
Comments found: (0)
Presently, there are no comments posted for this record!
Back to top
- Please be considerate in language. Do not use swear words.
- Treat other posters with the respect they deserve. This should go without saying, but treat others like you would like to be treated.
- Please do not spam. The definition of spam is an irrelevant or advertising post. Any post considered spam will be removed.
- Please do not post threads text in all CAPITALS since this is considered to be shouting and is not necessary.
- Insulting personal attacks will be not tolerated.