Adrmillan Castle was demolished in 1990
Ardmillan Castle was a notable landmark on a hill overlooking the Irish Sea 3 miles south of the harbour town of Girvan.
It was one of those castles which looked different depending upon where one viewed it from. The earliest building was a strong 16th century tower house with wall walk borne upon continuous corbelling. There is mention of a barmkin and ditch.
In the 18th century a classical pedimented front was erected which did nothing for the appearance of the old tower but at least provided up-to-date accommodation for the family.
Like so many of our old mansions it was to be destroyed by fire. Its turn came in 1973 when it was engulfed in flames and abandoned although the old tower had stood up well to the fire.
In 1977 the estate was purchased and notice posted for the removal of the ruins.
The long delayed blow fell in 1990. Ardmillan was demolished and the grounds converted into a holiday and caravan camp.
Date posted: 05 Jan 2014Last updated: 08 Dec 2014
? You are not currently logged in. Log in using the form below.Comment rules
Would you like to add comments to this site?
You must be registered and logged in to post a comment. If you are registered please login below and you, when logged in, will be able to post comments.
Links: [ Register here
] - [ Lost password?
] - [ Lost username?
Comments found: (0)
Presently, there are no comments posted for this record!
Back to top
- Please be considerate in language. Do not use swear words.
- Treat other posters with the respect they deserve. This should go without saying, but treat others like you would like to be treated.
- Please do not spam. The definition of spam is an irrelevant or advertising post. Any post considered spam will be removed.
- Please do not post threads text in all CAPITALS since this is considered to be shouting and is not necessary.
- Insulting personal attacks will be not tolerated.