Barochan House, near Houston in Renfrew, was a 16th century tower house replacing an earlier castle which had burned down. The site was a strong one on top of a hill with suggestions of a ditch and outer works.
Barochan House: Early tower (with continuous corbelling) can be seen rising above later mansion
It was greatly added to and extended in the 18th and 19th centuries. Sadly, dry rot and decay brought about its total demolition in the 20th.
Article by SCA member Brian McGarrigle
Date posted: 11 Jun 2015Last updated: 23 Jul 2015
? You are not currently logged in. Log in using the form below.Comment rules
Would you like to add comments to this site?
You must be registered and logged in to post a comment. If you are registered please login below and you, when logged in, will be able to post comments.
Links: [ Register here
] - [ Lost password?
] - [ Lost username?
Comments found: (0)
Presently, there are no comments posted for this record!
Back to top
- Please be considerate in language. Do not use swear words.
- Treat other posters with the respect they deserve. This should go without saying, but treat others like you would like to be treated.
- Please do not spam. The definition of spam is an irrelevant or advertising post. Any post considered spam will be removed.
- Please do not post threads text in all CAPITALS since this is considered to be shouting and is not necessary.
- Insulting personal attacks will be not tolerated.