Boyne Castle in 1790
Boyne Castle in 1890
Boyne Castle in 2012
Boyne Castle is situated near the town of Portsoy and dates from the years 1575-1580.
It resembles a medieval castle but is, in fact, a magnificent 'Renaissance Palace' with courtyard, 4 corner towers and a twin towered gate house. As late as 1723 Boyne was inhabited but noted as dilapidated by the end of that century. Ruin has continued apace, its walled gardens and robbed out masonry smothered in vegetation. This was one of the great palaces of Scotland but it is now ignored and permitted to tumble into further ruin by the year.
Date posted: 08 May 2012Last updated: 08 Dec 2014
? You are not currently logged in. Log in using the form below.Comment rules
Would you like to add comments to this site?
You must be registered and logged in to post a comment. If you are registered please login below and you, when logged in, will be able to post comments.
Links: [ Register here
] - [ Lost password?
] - [ Lost username?
Comments found: (0)
Presently, there are no comments posted for this record!
Back to top
- Please be considerate in language. Do not use swear words.
- Treat other posters with the respect they deserve. This should go without saying, but treat others like you would like to be treated.
- Please do not spam. The definition of spam is an irrelevant or advertising post. Any post considered spam will be removed.
- Please do not post threads text in all CAPITALS since this is considered to be shouting and is not necessary.
- Insulting personal attacks will be not tolerated.