Carrick pictured in 1906 with the paddle steamer 'Marmion' (sunk in action 1941)
This early 15th century castle is built on a rock jutting out into Loch Goil. A stronghold of the Clan Campbell it was bombarded by HMS Kingfisher in 1685 during the abortive 'Argyll's Rebellion'.
Carrick Castle undergoing restoration
Carrick lay in ruin for many years until restored by Alexander Fleming in the early 1990s. At first sight this would seem to have been a tall order as the castle is larger than it first appears. However, after exploratory excavations, it was put in a state of repair and the roof replaced. Its future is now secure.
Date posted: 08 May 2012Last updated: 08 Dec 2014
? You are not currently logged in. Log in using the form below.Comment rules
Would you like to add comments to this site?
You must be registered and logged in to post a comment. If you are registered please login below and you, when logged in, will be able to post comments.
Links: [ Register here
] - [ Lost password?
] - [ Lost username?
Comments found: (0)
Presently, there are no comments posted for this record!
Back to top
- Please be considerate in language. Do not use swear words.
- Treat other posters with the respect they deserve. This should go without saying, but treat others like you would like to be treated.
- Please do not spam. The definition of spam is an irrelevant or advertising post. Any post considered spam will be removed.
- Please do not post threads text in all CAPITALS since this is considered to be shouting and is not necessary.
- Insulting personal attacks will be not tolerated.