Castlemllk Caste, Lanarkshire was an oblong tower house of the 15th century occupying a prominent position with extensive views across the Clyde Valley. It was the home of the Stewart Family until it was compulsory purchased by Glasgow Corporation and made into a children's home.
In the 1950s the vast council estate of Castlemilk was established with a population greater than that of Perth. The days of the castle were numbered. Abandoned it soon fell prey to vandals and it was finally demolished in 1969. The site is now occupied by a children's play park.
Just before demolition a painted ceiling was discovered. This was removed as was the hall's fireplace. The fireplace is now on view in the newly restored stables but the whereabouts of the ceiling is unknown.
Date posted: 19 Jan 2012Last updated: 08 Dec 2014
? You are not currently logged in. Log in using the form below.Comment rules
Would you like to add comments to this site?
You must be registered and logged in to post a comment. If you are registered please login below and you, when logged in, will be able to post comments.
Links: [ Register here
] - [ Lost password?
] - [ Lost username?
Comments found: (0)
Presently, there are no comments posted for this record!
Back to top
- Please be considerate in language. Do not use swear words.
- Treat other posters with the respect they deserve. This should go without saying, but treat others like you would like to be treated.
- Please do not spam. The definition of spam is an irrelevant or advertising post. Any post considered spam will be removed.
- Please do not post threads text in all CAPITALS since this is considered to be shouting and is not necessary.
- Insulting personal attacks will be not tolerated.