Cessford Castle in 1904
Cessford after consolidation in 2009
Cessford Castle stands on a hill top near Morebattle and forms a prominent landmark.
A 15th century L-plan border fortress with walls 14 feet thick - this castle had an eventful history being attacked and taken more than once. It is surrounded by an outer wall and ditch.
Long in a state of neglect it was consolidated by the Roxburgh Estates in 2009 who pointed the walls but did not clear out the interior. This is one solution for a problem site for which reoccupation is not a realistic proposition. The Estates are to be praised for their work.
Date posted: 03 Dec 2013Last updated: 08 Dec 2014
? You are not currently logged in. Log in using the form below.Comment rules
Would you like to add comments to this site?
You must be registered and logged in to post a comment. If you are registered please login below and you, when logged in, will be able to post comments.
Links: [ Register here
] - [ Lost password?
] - [ Lost username?
Comments found: (0)
Presently, there are no comments posted for this record!
Back to top
- Please be considerate in language. Do not use swear words.
- Treat other posters with the respect they deserve. This should go without saying, but treat others like you would like to be treated.
- Please do not spam. The definition of spam is an irrelevant or advertising post. Any post considered spam will be removed.
- Please do not post threads text in all CAPITALS since this is considered to be shouting and is not necessary.
- Insulting personal attacks will be not tolerated.