This old house, locally known as ‘Sparrow Castle’, is situated in the village of Cockburnspath. Built of the local warm, red sandstone it consists of two abutting houses. The window mouldings and projecting corbelling hint at something old and this, together with a vaulted basement and first floor entry, would suggest 16th century bastles. It is in good condition and occupied.
Cockburnspath House pictured in 1900
Cockburnspath House - present day
Article by SCA member Brian McGarrigle
Date posted: 15 Dec 2014Last updated: 07 Jan 2015
- Please be considerate in language. Do not use swear words.
- Treat other posters with the respect they deserve. This should go without saying, but treat others like you would like to be treated.
- Please do not spam. The definition of spam is an irrelevant or advertising post. Any post considered spam will be removed.
- Please do not post threads text in all CAPITALS since this is considered to be shouting and is not necessary.
- Insulting personal attacks will be not tolerated.