Craigie Castle in 1904
Craigie today showing evidence of considerable collapse since 1904
Craigie stands near the the town of Symington with its 12th century church. The Architectural Guide to Ayrshire & Arran states: 'sadly ruined it remains one of the finest specimens of a vaulted hall in Scotland and a match for anything similar in the country'.
Craigie showin fine vaulting resting on original parapet walk
It stands upon a grassy knoll surrounded by a ditch. This knoll, in fact, may be a motte. What appears, at first, to be a magnificent groined vaulted, palace plan, tower house turns out to have been built upon an even earlier building - a 13th century hall house. This had been heightened in the 15th century immuring the parapet walk and its crenellations in process. We have the unique opportunity to view the original crenellations (and weepers) of an early hall house. That occupation continued into the 16th century is proved by a wide mouthed gun loop. It is generally accepted that it was abandoned around 1600 when the Wallaces of Craigie moved to Newton Castle in Ayr.
Craigie's walled up 13th century crenellations (red outline of battlements immediately above weepers)
There was a major collapse in the 1880s and again the 1920s and more will soon follow. This building, of the highest quality, is of national importance yet it is abandoned and neglected. Why is it not in state care? Over to you Historic Scotland.
Date posted: 10 Jul 2012Last updated: 08 Dec 2014
? You are not currently logged in. Log in using the form below.Comment rules
Would you like to add comments to this site?
You must be registered and logged in to post a comment. If you are registered please login below and you, when logged in, will be able to post comments.
Links: [ Register here
] - [ Lost password?
] - [ Lost username?
Comments found: (0)
Presently, there are no comments posted for this record!
Back to top
- Please be considerate in language. Do not use swear words.
- Treat other posters with the respect they deserve. This should go without saying, but treat others like you would like to be treated.
- Please do not spam. The definition of spam is an irrelevant or advertising post. Any post considered spam will be removed.
- Please do not post threads text in all CAPITALS since this is considered to be shouting and is not necessary.
- Insulting personal attacks will be not tolerated.