Dalhousie is strongly sited above the River South Esk at Bonnyrigg about eight miles from Edinburgh. The castle consists of an impressive 15th-century L-plan tower enclosed by strong outer walls transformed in the 17th century into a Renaissance Palace. In 1825 it underwent a ‘make over’ in the Gothic style only to be badly damaged by fire in 1867. The castle is now an upmarket hotel popular with brides forming the fairytale backdrop to their dream wedding day.
Dalhousie Castle in 1790. A great tower house rises high above a curtain wall. Note evidence of surrounding ditch
Dalhousie is notable as the last castle in Scotland to have been besieged by an English king in person – Henry IV in 1400. For six months he attacked Sir Alexander Ramsay to no avail, Dalhousie’s walls stood proving more than a match*.
Dalhousie Castle in 1900. The tower house gone – only its vaulted basement survives in the interior
However, Henry was not the last ‘king’ to pay it a visit. Cromwell, a king by any other name, effortlessly took possession of ‘the strong house called Dalhouz’, the garrison having decamped sans weapons and powder in their haste.
Dalhousie Castle in 2015. The round tower is now the bridal suite complete with a circular bed!
* The last English castle to be so besieged by a Scottish king was Norham which fell in 1513 to James IV.
Article by SCA member Brian McGarrigle.
Date posted: 17 Jun 2016Last updated: 17 Jun 2016
? You are not currently logged in. Log in using the form below.Comment rules
Would you like to add comments to this site?
You must be registered and logged in to post a comment. If you are registered please login below and you, when logged in, will be able to post comments.
Links: [ Register here
] - [ Lost password?
] - [ Lost username?
Comments found: (0)
Presently, there are no comments posted for this record!
Back to top
- Please be considerate in language. Do not use swear words.
- Treat other posters with the respect they deserve. This should go without saying, but treat others like you would like to be treated.
- Please do not spam. The definition of spam is an irrelevant or advertising post. Any post considered spam will be removed.
- Please do not post threads text in all CAPITALS since this is considered to be shouting and is not necessary.
- Insulting personal attacks will be not tolerated.