Set in rural Lanark near to Carnwath is this 16th century tower house reduced to a 30 foot staircase tower and the scant remains of the main block. It owes its survival to its use as a farm building. A stone situated above a doorway gives the date of 1567 which accords well with the ruins. The photo on the right was taken during a SCA visit in 2007.
Eastshield as it was (left) and as recorded on a SCA visit in 2007 (right).
Article by SCA member Brian McGarrigle
Date posted: 15 Dec 2014Last updated: 03 Feb 2015
- Please be considerate in language. Do not use swear words.
- Treat other posters with the respect they deserve. This should go without saying, but treat others like you would like to be treated.
- Please do not spam. The definition of spam is an irrelevant or advertising post. Any post considered spam will be removed.
- Please do not post threads text in all CAPITALS since this is considered to be shouting and is not necessary.
- Insulting personal attacks will be not tolerated.