Eilean Donan - as a ruin, and how it appears nowadays - which do you prefer?
Eilean Donan owes its appearance to an almost total rebuilding last century. Over the years the castle had taken on many shapes and sizes until 1719 when Spanish soldiers, in support of the Jacobites, stored gunpowder within its vaults.
The British government sent 3 warships to batter the castle into submission. This had absolutely no effect until a landing party forced surrender. The gunpowder proved too good a temptation and it was fired taking the castle with it.
Eilean Donan lay a shattered ruin until 1911 when it underwent an 'imaginative' restoration over a period of 20 years. This is probably the most iconic castle in Scotland, the backdrop to numerous films and friend of the shortbread industry.
Date posted: 30 Apr 2012Last updated: 08 Dec 2014
? You are not currently logged in. Log in using the form below.Comment rules
Would you like to add comments to this site?
You must be registered and logged in to post a comment. If you are registered please login below and you, when logged in, will be able to post comments.
Links: [ Register here
] - [ Lost password?
] - [ Lost username?
Comments found: (0)
Presently, there are no comments posted for this record!
Back to top
- Please be considerate in language. Do not use swear words.
- Treat other posters with the respect they deserve. This should go without saying, but treat others like you would like to be treated.
- Please do not spam. The definition of spam is an irrelevant or advertising post. Any post considered spam will be removed.
- Please do not post threads text in all CAPITALS since this is considered to be shouting and is not necessary.
- Insulting personal attacks will be not tolerated.