Gibertfield Tower (Lanark)
On the north side of Dechmont Hill, near Cambuslang, stands the house of Gilbertfield, with a panel dating it 1607.
It was a well planned L-plan tower house with a fine scale and platt staircase. The basement was vaulted with a large fireplace and oven. At the rooftop level there were 2 round turrets projected on continuous corbelling.
Already semi roofless in the 1930s its blow came in the 1950s when an entire wing wall collapsed. In the 1970s the turret tumbled and soon the rest will follow - just look at that crack running between the windows.
This is a building where Historic Scotland favours restoration - is there someone out there?
Date posted: 09 Feb 2012Last updated: 08 Dec 2014
? You are not currently logged in. Log in using the form below.Comment rules
Would you like to add comments to this site?
You must be registered and logged in to post a comment. If you are registered please login below and you, when logged in, will be able to post comments.
Links: [ Register here
] - [ Lost password?
] - [ Lost username?
Comments found: (0)
Presently, there are no comments posted for this record!
Back to top
- Please be considerate in language. Do not use swear words.
- Treat other posters with the respect they deserve. This should go without saying, but treat others like you would like to be treated.
- Please do not spam. The definition of spam is an irrelevant or advertising post. Any post considered spam will be removed.
- Please do not post threads text in all CAPITALS since this is considered to be shouting and is not necessary.
- Insulting personal attacks will be not tolerated.