Kelburn Castle - which do you prefer?
Kelburn is situated above the town of Largs on the Ayrshire coast is now a Country Centre and open to the public.
The castle is a late 16th century Z-plan tower house with high round towers at opposite angles of the main block to which there was attached a mansion of the 18th century.
The owner of Kelburn, the Earl of Glasgow, was given permission to 'graffiti' the walls in 2007 pending removal of the harling 'in 3 years time'. A Brazilian graffiti artist did the work at a cost of £20,000. This features 'a psychedelic series of interwoven cartoons depicting surreal urban culture' (of course you knew that). So popular has this work become that the Earl of Glasgow is fighting to keep the mural for longer.
Kelburn certainly looks a lot brighter than it did in 1904 and so will the Earl as he has just received £250,000 courtesy of Historic Scotland towards upkeep.
Date posted: 04 Sep 2012Last updated: 08 Dec 2014
? You are not currently logged in. Log in using the form below.Comment rules
Would you like to add comments to this site?
You must be registered and logged in to post a comment. If you are registered please login below and you, when logged in, will be able to post comments.
Links: [ Register here
] - [ Lost password?
] - [ Lost username?
Comments found: (0)
Presently, there are no comments posted for this record!
Back to top
- Please be considerate in language. Do not use swear words.
- Treat other posters with the respect they deserve. This should go without saying, but treat others like you would like to be treated.
- Please do not spam. The definition of spam is an irrelevant or advertising post. Any post considered spam will be removed.
- Please do not post threads text in all CAPITALS since this is considered to be shouting and is not necessary.
- Insulting personal attacks will be not tolerated.