Mains Castle - East Kilbride
Mains Castle before restoration
Mains Castle, stands near the town of East Kilbride in Lanarkshire and dates from the late 15th century. The masonry is of good quality ashlar and rises 3 storeys to a corbelled parapet. It contains a vaulted prison.
The castle fell into ruin in the 18th century but was restored in the 19th only to be abandoned and left roofless. And so it stood with the door bricked up and the vault open to the sky until 1976 when it was purchased and restored winning 2 Saltire awards. There are solid oak doors, open stone fires and flagstone floors to make Mains a fine family home.
In 2002 Mains was sold once more. Over time, however, the town of East Kilbride has crept closer and what once was open countryside is now built up.
Date posted: 14 Sep 2012Last updated: 08 Dec 2014
? You are not currently logged in. Log in using the form below.Comment rules
Would you like to add comments to this site?
You must be registered and logged in to post a comment. If you are registered please login below and you, when logged in, will be able to post comments.
Links: [ Register here
] - [ Lost password?
] - [ Lost username?
Comments found: (0)
Presently, there are no comments posted for this record!
Back to top
- Please be considerate in language. Do not use swear words.
- Treat other posters with the respect they deserve. This should go without saying, but treat others like you would like to be treated.
- Please do not spam. The definition of spam is an irrelevant or advertising post. Any post considered spam will be removed.
- Please do not post threads text in all CAPITALS since this is considered to be shouting and is not necessary.
- Insulting personal attacks will be not tolerated.