Newark Castle is situated close to the seaside town of Ayr. It is a commodious mansion of many periods but its most striking aspect is the tall, harled tower rising from a rocky base.
Newark pictured around 1900
The tower is vaulted with thick walls rising four storeys to a corbelled parapet finished with rounds. The whole property is in excellent condition though much modified internally.
Newark photographed in 2015 during a SCA visit. Note the tower is now harled
Article by SCA member Brian McGarrigle
Date posted: 21 May 2015Last updated: 23 Jul 2015
- Please be considerate in language. Do not use swear words.
- Treat other posters with the respect they deserve. This should go without saying, but treat others like you would like to be treated.
- Please do not spam. The definition of spam is an irrelevant or advertising post. Any post considered spam will be removed.
- Please do not post threads text in all CAPITALS since this is considered to be shouting and is not necessary.
- Insulting personal attacks will be not tolerated.