A young lady relaxes in front of Portencross Castle in 1904
Portencross Castle in 2012
Portencross is a castle that resisted attempts to find it a buyer.
It stands above a small rock harbour near to the coastal town of Saltcoats and dates from the 14th century with later additions. It had been in ruin since 1739 when it was unroofed during a storm. It consists of a massive vaulted tower with an entrance at first floor level.
Its A-listed status and the right of public access to the walls put off prospective purchasers until a local body was formed to acquire the castle, to consolidate it and to open it to the public. Expert advise was sought, a grant applied for and work commenced to make it wind and watertight.
In 2011 Portencross welcomed its first visitors and it is also available for wedding and birthday parties. Long may it flourish!
Date posted: 27 Sep 2012Last updated: 08 Dec 2014
? You are not currently logged in. Log in using the form below.Comment rules
Would you like to add comments to this site?
You must be registered and logged in to post a comment. If you are registered please login below and you, when logged in, will be able to post comments.
Links: [ Register here
] - [ Lost password?
] - [ Lost username?
Comments found: (0)
Presently, there are no comments posted for this record!
Back to top
- Please be considerate in language. Do not use swear words.
- Treat other posters with the respect they deserve. This should go without saying, but treat others like you would like to be treated.
- Please do not spam. The definition of spam is an irrelevant or advertising post. Any post considered spam will be removed.
- Please do not post threads text in all CAPITALS since this is considered to be shouting and is not necessary.
- Insulting personal attacks will be not tolerated.