Sorbie Tower (Wigtown)
A handsome, well built L-plan tower of the late 16th century situated between Wigtown and Whithorn in the Machars. Larger than one might expect for this region it boasts the refinement of a scale-and-platt staircase to the first floor.
Abandoned in the late 18th century it was robbed for its ashlar and was in a very dangerous state when gifted to Clan Hannay in 1965 on the understanding that it be held in trust for all.
The Clan's intention was to restore but the realities of cost have, to date, defeated this outcome. The building has been consolidated but with some unfortunate results (witness, for instance, the overlarge ground floor window). A lottery grant of £77,400 was awarded in 2001 but not much seems to have happened since then.
Historic Scotland favour restoration.
Date posted: 16 Mar 2012Last updated: 08 Dec 2014
? You are not currently logged in. Log in using the form below.Comment rules
Would you like to add comments to this site?
You must be registered and logged in to post a comment. If you are registered please login below and you, when logged in, will be able to post comments.
Links: [ Register here
] - [ Lost password?
] - [ Lost username?
Comments found: (0)
Presently, there are no comments posted for this record!
Back to top
- Please be considerate in language. Do not use swear words.
- Treat other posters with the respect they deserve. This should go without saying, but treat others like you would like to be treated.
- Please do not spam. The definition of spam is an irrelevant or advertising post. Any post considered spam will be removed.
- Please do not post threads text in all CAPITALS since this is considered to be shouting and is not necessary.
- Insulting personal attacks will be not tolerated.