Set high above the River Clyde, in the Lanarkshire countryside near Crossford in the Clyde Valley, this is an unspoilt and, for most people, largely unknown territory.
The present buildings, pictured below, comprise a 16th century tower house (reduced in height) a 17th century wing and a Victorian addition. The original tower was surrounded by a barmkin of which the gate, surmounted by two lions and flanked with two gunloops, survives.
The house has had mixed fortunes in recent years having suffered severely from fires and rebuilt.
From 1539 Waygateshaw was a house of the Lockhart family. In 1572 Stephen Lockhart was indicted for the murder of Lord Darnley. Today’s house is comfortable and commodious while the original three storey tower is largely unused, except for storage.
Article by SCA member Brian McGarrigle