Auchanachie Castle consists of a 16th Century tower house of three storeys and a large round stair-tower, as well as many later and lower additions. The walls are harled and pierced by shot-holes, and many of the windows are small. There is a panel
with the words 'From Our Enemies Defend US O Christ' - probably from the Forbeses - and the date 1594. The basement of the tower is vaulted, and has three stone bosses carved with the arms of Gordon, Fraser and Campbell. The turnpike stair is very
steep, and the tiny hall on the first floor is also vaulted.
Auchanachie was a Gordon property, and held by the oldest sons of Avochie - the castle of which itself is now only a fragmentary ruin. This family took an active part in the fighting during the reigns of Mary, Queen of Scots, and James VI. The castle is
There was another stronghold called Ruthven nearby.
Wording taken from The Castles of Scotland Third Edition by Martin Coventry