Barholm Castle is a fine 16th Century L-plan tower house of 3-storeys. It consists of a main block and a small, but higher wing, which is crowned by a caphouse. The windows and doorway have fine mouldings. The entrance leads to the vaulted
basement, and to a wide turnpike stair which rises to a parapet level.
Barholm before & after restoration
It was a property of the MacCullochs. John Knox used Barholm as a place of refuge before fleeing to the continent. In 1579 John Brown of Carsluith was called to account for the murder of McCulloch of Barholm. The McCullochs were ardent
Covenanters. Major John McCulloch of Barholm was executed for his part in the Pentland Rising and Battle of Rullion Green in 1666, The castle is still occupied. The castle was abandoned and had become completely derelict and ruined. It has now been
fully restored and is occupied.
Wording taken from The Castles of Scotland Third Edition by Martin Coventry