Consists of a much-altered 16th Century tower house of five storeys to which a large modern mansion has been added. Bartizans, with gunloops crown the corners, but the roof pitch has been lowered. Most of the windows have been enlarged,
but over a first-floor window is the date 1602.
The basement is vaulted.
The lands were held by the Cockburn family from 1358 until 1541, when they passed to the Abercrombies. In 1601 the properties were sold to Sir John Hamilton of Letterick, who was made Lord Bargany, and he built most of the remaining house.
It was then sold to the Setons, passed through many families, including the Cornwalls of Bonhard, to the Hopes, two of whom were distinguished admirals. It is still occupied.