This is a rectangular 16th century towerhouse of three storeys and a garret. It has grenellated parapets on two sides and open rounds at all four corners. A machiolation defends the entrance. There are corbiestepped gables and a steeply pitched roof,
and it was defended by a ditch.
The entrance leads to a turnpike stair up to each floor. The basement is vaulted and the hall on the first floor has a moulded fireplace.
Robert the Bruce gifted Craigcaffie to his illegitimate son, Neil, Earl of Carrick, from whom the Neilsons were descended. The Neilsons held the property until 1791, when it passed to the Dalrymple Earl of Stair. In the 19th Century it was occupied by
farm labourers. The tower has been restored and reoccupied.
Wording taken from The Castles of Scotland Third Edition by Martin Coventry