Site of 13th century castle, which was torched in 1630. The present house dates from 1656, was remodelled in 1753, extended to 1790, and incorporates a small part of the old castle.
It was a property of the Crichtons and James V visited in 1535. The castle was torched in 1630 during a feud over land with the Gordons. Six Gordons, including John Gordon, Lord Rothiemay, and Viscount Aboyne were burned and killed in the Castle, although the Crichton laird escaped with his folk, Crichton of Frendraught was tried and acquitted of their murders, although one of his servants was executed. Lady Rothiemay certainly believed in Crichton's involvement. She employed Highlanders to attack and plunder his lands and family. Lady Rothiemay was eventually imprisoned in 1635, although she was later released.
Crichton's son, James, was made Viscount Frendraught in 1642, and although a Covenanter, fought for the Marquis of Montrose in 1650. He was captured after being wounded and died soon afterwards.
The property was passed to the Morrisons about 1690. The house was restored in 1974 and is still occupied.
Wording taken from The Castles of Scotland Third Edition by Martin Coventry