Old Sauchie Castle
Old Sauchie is a ruined 16th century L-plan tower house of four storeys. To this has been added a 17th century wing and other additions, now used as an estate office. The old tower has two bartizans, and a stair turret. The tower has corbiestepped gables and the walls are pierced by gunloops and shot-holes.
The entrance, in the re-entrant angle, leads to the vaulted basement which contained the kitchen and cellars, and to a wide stair to the first floor hall. A turnpike stair in the turret climbs to the upper floors.
It was the property of the Erskines but passed to the Ramsay family in the 18th century, then in 1865 to Sir Alexander Gibson-Maitland.
The Battle of Sauchieburn was fought nearby in 1488 where the forces of James III were defeated by his rebellious nobles. The king was murdered after the battle and is buried in Cambuskenneth Abbey.
Wording taken from The Castles of Scotland Third Edition by Martin Coventry