Westhall consists of a small 16th century L-Plan tower house of three storeys and a garret. To this has been added a gabled block, with a round stair-tower, probably in the 17th century. A stair-turret projects on corbelling in the re-entrant angle of the tower. A crenellated parapet has open rounds at all corners. The original windows are small.
The basement is vaulted, the hall is on the first floor, and private chambers occupied the floors above.
The lands were held by the Bishop of Aberdeen from the 13th century, but passed to the Gordons during the Reformation. The property was sold to the Hornes in 1681, then passed by marriage to the Elphinstones. The house is in good condition and still occupied.
Source: The Castles of Scotland Third Edition by Martin Coventry