Hatton Castle is a 16th century Z-plan tower house. It consists of a main block of three storeys and an attic, with square towers projecting at opposite corners. Round stair-towers rise in the outer re-entrant angles. The walls are pierced
by many gun-loops and shot-holes.
The moulded entrance leads to a wide turnpike stair, which climbs only to the first floor in one of the square towers. The vaulted basement contains cellars and a kitchen with an enormous arched fireplace. The hall was on the first floor
with adjoining private chambers. The many rooms on the floors above, both of the main block and towers, were reached by turret stairs.
The lands were granted by Robert the Bruce to Isabella Douglas, who married William Oliphant, Justice of Scotland. The castle was built in 1575. The property passed to Halyburton of Pitcur in 1627, then to the son of Mackenzie of
Rosehaugh. The castle was garrisoned by the Covenanter Earl of Crawford in 1645, but was captured by the Marquis of Montrose. In 1983 it was purchased by a member of the Oliphant family as a centre for the Clan Oliphant, and it has been
Wording taken from The Castles of Scotland Third Edition by Martin Coventry