The word ‘place’ in Scots refers to a landed proprietor's mansion house. Place, Kilmaurs is a 17th-century T-plan mansion abutting a 16th-century predecessor.
Dated 1620 it lies at the very end of the fortified era. It is low and unvaulted but retains characteristics of a tower house such as crow-stepped gables.
A stair tower projects from one side but modern buildings fill the re-entrant angles.
Place is attached to a vaulted block which could be the ruinous remains of a 16th-century tower. In the 19th century this was used as a milk house but is now incorporated in the later mansion. A fine 16th-century fireplace in the mansion probably came from the earlier structure.
Article by SCA member Brian McGarrigle.