Excavations have exposed the Place of Kelly. Its location has remained a mystery since it was demolished prior to the construction of Haddo House in the 1730s. Kelly is first mentioned in 1261 as the dwelling place of the Comyns, Earls of Buchan and was much added to in the 15th century to reflect their lofty status.
During the Civil Wars Kelly was sacked but remained in occupation until the Gordons of Haddo decided that they needed a dwelling more in line with their status and the old castle blocked their view so it was levelled! Ground penetrating radar suggests a range of buildings surrounding a courtyard with walls standing to almost 2m.