Balvenie Castle in 1910
Balvenie Castle today under care of Historic Scotland
This exceptional castle, which dates from the 13th to 16th centuries, is situated near Dufftown. Although it appears a Renaissance Palace the broad ditch which surrounds the site hints at its medieval past.
Added to over the centuries, and especially in the 16th with beautiful gardens, it was abandonned the 1720s.
In 1929 the Ministry of Works (now Historic Scotland) took the buildings into national care.