This Tudor Gothic mansion of 1820 hides a secret ...
Top: Blairquhan is a William Burn design of 1820-24, pictured circa 1900
Bottom: Blairquhan in 2015 during SCA visit
In 1798 Sir James Hunter had purchased the estate with its castle as bankrupt stock. He appeared content until his marriage - his wife wanted something new!
Blairquhan Palace in 1798 before demolition
Hunter had bought a handsome 'palace' dating from 1573 containing the remains of a 14th century castle - but all was to be pulled down. Fortunately, some of the carved detail from the older building was built into the kitchen range of the new.
Fragments from old castle - arms of James VI of Scotland above door
Guitar player with ruff and Venetian 'breeks' surmounted by cable moulding
Today Blairquhan, with its views across the estate, is a popular venue for weddings.
Article by SCA member Brian McGarrigle