This, the town house of the Earls of Bothwell, was situated in Haddington and should not be confused with the more famous castle of that name near Glasgow.
It was a late 16th early 17th century building with projecting wings framing a courtyard towards the river and with a round tower situated on the street. A rectangular doo cot completed what was a very attractive composition.
Town houses such as Bothwell survive in Edinburgh and Stirling, but bye and large they have been demolished. This was the fate of Bothwell in 1955 when it was levelled with the ground.
The site is now occupied by an agreeable little garden but this does not compensate for what has been lost.