Braemar Castle stands in the town of that name on Royal Deeside. It is a 5-storied L-plan tower house with a circular tower in the re-entrant. Built in 1628, burned down 1689 and rebuilt 1748 as a government garrison after the 45 Rebellion. It is due the latter event that we owe the incongruous battlemented finish and the star shaped curtain wall.
Braemar had become a little 'shabby' in recent years but a Historic Scotland grant and a progressive local community would seem to ensure it a bright future.