Situated about 3 miles NW of Whithorn, Castlewigg presents a sorry state to the visitor today.
A panel dates this L-plan tower house to 1595 and this is supported by vaulting and a gun loop. Considerable alterations took place in the 18th century which left Castlewigg with little trace of its early origin and these, together with its ruinious state, makes the building difficult to investigate.
The castle stood within extensive gardens sporting an early sundial (now lost) and the possible remains of the barmkin gate.
The roof was removed (to avoid taxes) and house dismantled in 1954 and it has lain in this demolished state until the present day.