Craighlaw Castle at the turn of the 19th century
Craighlaw Castle on a SCA visit in April 2013
Situated near the town of Kirkcowan in the Machars, Craighlaw is a much altered 16th century tower which was at one time cut down to its first floor level. In 1864 the upper floors were reinstated as part of a Victorian mansion and a new entrance slapped through the 7’ thick walls.
In 1954 the 1860s range was demolished and the tower restored to a 16th century appearance.
Article by SCA member Brian McGarrigle