Situated near Kilmarnock in rural Ayrshire, Craufurdland is a Gothic castle of 1830. Look closer, however, and there is more than meets the eye.
Top: Gothic façade of 1830 with crow-stepped 17th century wing to left
Bottom: Craufurdland today - with ivy and chimney heads removed
The west wing incorporates a small tower house of the late 15th or early 16th century. This rises from a vaulted basement to a wall walk born on continuous corbelling which is a popular feature in the west. A wide-mouth gun loop is situated above ground level rather than one would expect at basement level. The interior is altered and used as a holiday let. The entire mansion is in excellent condition.
Note crenellations and continuous corbelling of tower house
The east wing contains a two-storey-high mansion with a fine plaster ceiling dated 1648. This incorporates the arms of the Stewarts.
The Gothic frontage is simply a façade joining the two wings.
SCA's visit to Craufurdland in May 2015. Note inserted doorway, enlarged windows; gun loop and corbelling
The site, like so many Ayrshire castles, is situated at the edge of a ravine.
Article by SCA member Brian McGarrigle