Photograph from the 1880s showing main tower with its handsome corbelling
Main tower pictured in 1904 much defaced by the removal of its projecting wing
Today with wing reinstated in 1970 - no attempt made to restore to its original appearance
Inverquharity Castle is an L-plan tower-house of the 15th century. The east wing was demolished before 1884 for its materials which left an ugly scar, but the main tower remained intact which facilitated its restoration by Alison and Sandy Grant in 1970.
Their first task was to reinstate the roof as the original had been removed due to vandalismn. The demolished wing was reconstructed to provide a living area suitable for modern needs. The eight foot walls of the existing tower were intact to the wall head together with its parapet walk and required minimum attention. The work took 3 years (including landscaping).
We are fortunate that his excellent example of native architecture has been given a secure future.