Inverugie Castle (Aberdeenshire)
Inverugie Castle was an exceptionally fine, late 16th century tower house consisting of an oblong main block with 2 round towers. An ornamented arched gateway, attached to the S tower, bearing the date 1670, lead into a small courtyard.
It was in a perfect state until 1820 when the roof and wooden flooring were stolen. Left open to the elements is still stood substantially intact until 1899 when it was blown up with explosives. This is another of those superb castles 'which got away'. What an ornament it would have been restored and occupied in present times. It is now a total ruin.